This past weekend I was so fortunate to grab a long weekend with my sister. The occasion was centered on the “main event”–an Ellie Goulding concert. Amy Kate grabbed these two tickets before Christmas and gave them to me as the perfect gift. When reflecting on my weekend, I realized how perfectly relaxed, fun and low-key the entire affair was. So what strikes that perfect balance when you have a sister, best friend, mother or just a sweet guest in town? How did we so haphazardly fall onto this restful, yet full of activity three-days? I decided to write some thoughts down on the matter of what I feel we did so perfectly- without even noticing.
1. An environment that stimulates conversation. This could be picking out the perfect brunch spot with a stellar outdoor atmosphere or a music-free car ride to catch up. Regardless, letting the conversation flow sets the tone for the weekend.
2. Active time to get your sweat on. Walking was never meant to be a mute sport. So find your favorite loop and get moving. In Houston a walk around Rice University is always a great idea. My go-to in Charlotte is the infamous “booty loop” around Queens College. Not the tennis shoe type? Opt to walk to the next shop instead of driving
3. Allow enough time for your meals. Think lunches that turn quickly into drinks before your yummy dinner reservation. Meals are the perfect time to showcase your favorite restaurants to your guests. It allows you to be the expert on the best drink, yummiest app and the fall-out-of-your-chair dessert! Be careful though, you want to keep the pace of the day slow and not jumping from one reservation to the next.
4. Be bungee. Sometimes when you get hungry in the middle of your shopping day. Go into a close place (always refer to yelp!) and grab the last two stools at the bar. This allows for the glucose not to drop and moods to shift.
5. Sometimes, do nothing. Hang-out time on the couch is the best and allows you to showcase the comfort of your interiors. This allows each of you to drift off to sleep and awake in the middle of a new Fixer Upper episode like no time has passed.
These are some of my favorites to abide by, but my #1 thought is do not get wrapped up into trying to create a perfect weekend. Being with each other is going to bring the perfection. Finally ALWAYS, if the opportunity presents itself, cuddle up together and read the latest Domino Magazine. When looking back that is the time you will realize you treasure the most, and is sure to create memories that has you grinning ear to ear.
Best in our Mess,